Odor and Nutrient Management Newsletter

Spring 2002

New rule for confinement feeding operations

by Karen Grimes, Iowa Department of Natural Resources

A new rule that became effective February 13, 2002, requires new confinement feeding operations that need a manure management plan (MMP), but not a construction permit, to file the plan with the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and the county 30 days before construction begins. The new confinement feeding operations must use the DNR MMP form. The plan must meet all current requirements and include documentation that a copy has been submitted to the county auditor or Board of Supervisors. It also should include information (e.g., maps, drawings, or aerial photos) that clearly shows the proposed location of any structures.

If an expanding operation stays below the construction permit threshold, the owner should submit the MMP to the DNR and pay the additional indemnity fee. The owner does not need to submit an MMP to the county.

Existing small animal feeding operations that expand to a size that would require an MMP also must submit the MMP to the DNR, but not the county. They need to pay the indemnity fee when they submit the plan. A small animal feeding operation has an animal weight capacity of less than 200,000 pounds for species other than bovine or less than 400,000 pounds for bovine.

If an owner manages or has an interest in another confinement feeding operation that is located within 2,500 feet of the proposed construction, the owner must provide information about that site. This requirement helps to ensure that the facility owner has met requirements for separation distances.

The DNR will date the forms when they are received and notify the producer. Complete plans must be reviewed by the DNR within 60 days. If the plan is incomplete, the DNR will wait until producers provide additional information before the review process is started.

Producers who must submit plans to the DNR and the county need to wait 30 days before starting construction, but they do not have to wait for the DNR to approve the plan. They must have an approved plan before spreading manure.

For more information about early submittal of MMPs and to download copies of the DNR's MMP forms, please visit http://www.state.ia.us/epd/wastewtr/feedlot/manure.htm

return to Odor and Nutrient Management Home Page
This newsletter provides information on manure management, events, regulatory updates, and access to resources

Iowa State University ExtensionAmes, Iowa 50011

Copyright © 1997-2004, Iowa State University. All rights reserved.
Non-Discrimination Statement and Information Disclosures

|Search all contents|

|Odor and Nutrient Management Home Page| |Iowa State University Extension|
|Feedback/Comments to Angela Rieck-Hinz| |Comments on web site|

Page last updated October 5, 2004

Iowa Manure Matters: Odor and Nutrient Management is published by Iowa State University Extension, with funding support from the USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service through Cooperative Agreement No. 74-6114-8-22. To subscribe or change the address of a current subscription, write to Angela Rieck-Hinz, 2104 Agronomy Hall, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 50011-1010 or call 515-294-9590, fax 515-294-9985 or email: amrieck@iastate.edu. Please indicate you are inquiring about the Odor and Nutrient Management Newsletter. The newsletter's coordinators are Angela Rieck-Hinz, extension program specialist, Department of Agronomy, Wendy Powers, environmental extension specialist, Department of Animal Science, and Robert Burns, Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering; the editor is Jean McGuire, the subscription manager is Rachel Klein, the production designer is Beth Kroeschell, and the web page designer is Liisa Jarvinen.

... and justice for all.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or family status. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Many materials can be made available in alternative formats for ADA clients. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 14th and Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call 202-720-5964.