Odor and Nutrient Management Newsletter

Winter 2003

Education fees and business license are main changes for 2004 manure applicator program

by Karen Grimes, Iowa Department of Natural Resources

Confinement Site Applicators. Confinement site or private applicators who apply manure from a manure storage structure can expect to pay an additional $25 educational fee because of a new law, House File 644, passed in the spring of 2003. This fee is in addition to the certification fee of $100, good for three years. The educational fee begins in 2004 and will help cover the costs to provide training or administer tests. The fee will be paid each time an applicator attends the required two-hour annual training or when a test is taken to renew a certificate. The educational fee will not be charged if an applicator is taking a make-up test because of a training session that was missed. Fees will be adjusted annually based on program costs. Certification fees and educational fees are paid to the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IDNR).

As before, certification is not required if the source of the manure is an open feedlot or a small animal feeding operation (500 or less animal unit capacity or about 1250 swine finishers).

Commercial Applicators. Because of a change in state law, commercial applicators will need to be affiliated with a business and the business will need to be licensed as a commercial manure service, starting in 2004. All currently certified commercial applicators will receive a letter from IDNR in early December, asking for the business contact information.

Business license: The commercial manure service license fee will be $200 in 2004, whether the business is a sole proprietor or a business association. Each business shall identify only one manager to the DNR, someone who is actively involved in and makes management decisions in the operation of the business. The manager’s certification fees are covered under the business license. Commercial manure services should plan to inform the DNR when a substitution occurs or when an employee is terminated.

Loading a manure tank wagon.
Loading a manure tank wagon.

Employees: Commercial applicators, including managers, are now called commercial manure service representatives (or representatives). They will still receive an individual certificate, but they must be associated with one business at a time starting in 2004. That means that if a representative leaves one company and starts work for another company, the representative or service will have to notify the IDNR and receive a new certificate. The certification fee for employees or representatives is $75. If the commercial manure service pays the $75 certification fee for its representatives, the business will hold the certificate numbers for its employees, allowing substitutions if an employee is terminated during the year. The new or substituted employee will have the same certificate number as the former employee and must complete training requirements within 30 days.

Educational requirements: The commercial application year has been changed to begin on March 1 and run to March 1 of the following year. This means that applicators and businesses must complete the required training testing prior to March 1. Applications, training records and fees must be received or postmarked by March 1 or a $12.50 late fee will apply.

Most representatives, including the manager, will need to pay a $25 educational fee in 2004 in addition to the certification fee. The fee will be paid when an applicator applies for certification after taking the required three-hour training or passing a test. However, if the $200 certification fee was paid from Jan. 1 through May 29, 2003, an education fee will not be required in 2004. Education fees are paid to IDNR.

All employees will have to fulfill the training or testing requirement annually. New or substituted employees who have not taken training or passed a test must complete those requirements within 30 days of hiring. They must also be supervised until certified.

return to Odor and Nutrient Management Home Page
This newsletter provides information on manure management, events, regulatory updates, and access to resources

Iowa State University ExtensionAmes, Iowa 50011

Copyright © 1997-2004, Iowa State University. All rights reserved.
Non-Discrimination Statement and Information Disclosures

|Search all contents|

|Odor and Nutrient Management Home Page| |Iowa State University Extension|
|Feedback/Comments to Angela Rieck-Hinz| |Comments on web site|

Page last updated October 5, 2004

Iowa Manure Matters: Odor and Nutrient Management is published by Iowa State University Extension, with funding support from the USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service through Cooperative Agreement No. 74-6114-8-22. To subscribe or change the address of a current subscription, write to Angela Rieck-Hinz, 2104 Agronomy Hall, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 50011-1010 or call 515-294-9590, fax 515-294-9985 or email: amrieck@iastate.edu. Please indicate you are inquiring about the Odor and Nutrient Management Newsletter. The newsletter's coordinators are Angela Rieck-Hinz, extension program specialist, Department of Agronomy, Wendy Powers, environmental extension specialist, Department of Animal Science, and Robert Burns, Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering; the editor is Jean McGuire, the subscription manager is Rachel Klein, the production designer is Beth Kroeschell, and the web page designer is Liisa Jarvinen.

... and justice for all.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or family status. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Many materials can be made available in alternative formats for ADA clients. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 14th and Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call 202-720-5964.