Odor and Nutrient Management Newsletter

Summer 1999

DNR clarifies certification - not just for applicators

by Karen Grimes, Iowa Department of Natural Resources

Who requires certification? "If youíre involved in removing or land applying manure from a confinement animal feeding operation, you may need to be certified," says Wayne Gieselman, Department of Natural Resources (DNR) animal feeding operation program coordinator. "Whether itís hauling, applying, agitating, pumping, or just plain controlling the hose valve, certification is required unless the manure is from an operation that qualifies as a small operation." A small operation is defined as a confinement operation with an animal weight capacity of 400,000 pounds or less of cattle or 200,000 pounds or less of other animal species.

The certification requirements became part of Iowa law in 1998. Certification is required to make sure that people handling or applying manure have the training and knowledge needed to do so correctly, including knowing what to do if an accident or equipment failure causes a spill or other release of manure to the environment.

There are two types of certification: commercial and confinement site. Gieselman says commercial applicators are people who haul or apply manure for a fee, and include all employees of a commercial applicator who are directly involved in handling or applying manure. The deadline for commercial applicators to become certified was July 1, 1999. Commercial manure applicators can become certified by annually attending 3 hours of training or by passing an exam. See article in this issue for information on an upcoming commercial applicator satellite program.

Confinement site applicators include the owners or employees of confinement feeding operations who apply manure from these operations, as well as other persons who may receive or buy manure from these operations. Confinement site applicators must be certified by October 1, 1999. Confinement site manure applicators can become certified by attending 2 hours of annual training or by passing an exam. Individuals who are not directly involved in the handling or application of manure are not required to be certified. Click here for a list of ongoing confinement site applicator training workshops.


return to Odor and Nutrient Management Home Page
This newsletter provides information on manure management, events, regulatory updates, and access to resources

Iowa State University ExtensionAmes, Iowa 50011

Copyright © 1997-2004, Iowa State University. All rights reserved.
Non-Discrimination Statement and Information Disclosures

|Search all contents|

|Odor and Nutrient Management Home Page| |Iowa State University Extension|
|Feedback/Comments to Angela Rieck-Hinz| |Comments on web site|

Page last updated October 5, 2004

Iowa Manure Matters: Odor and Nutrient Management is published by Iowa State University Extension, with funding support from the USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service through Cooperative Agreement No. 74-6114-8-22. To subscribe or change the address of a current subscription, write to Angela Rieck-Hinz, 2104 Agronomy Hall, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 50011-1010 or call 515-294-9590, fax 515-294-9985 or email: amrieck@iastate.edu. Please indicate you are inquiring about the Odor and Nutrient Management Newsletter. The newsletter's coordinators are Angela Rieck-Hinz, extension program specialist, Department of Agronomy, Wendy Powers, environmental extension specialist, Department of Animal Science, and Robert Burns, Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering; the editor is Jean McGuire, the subscription manager is Rachel Klein, the production designer is Beth Kroeschell, and the web page designer is Liisa Jarvinen.

... and justice for all.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or family status. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Many materials can be made available in alternative formats for ADA clients. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 14th and Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call 202-720-5964.