By Angela Rieck-Hinz, Department of Agronomy and Kapil Arora, Extension Agricultural Engineering Field Specialist.
RUSLE2 and Iowa Phosphorus Index Workshop
A RUSLE2 and Iowa Phosphorus Index (P Index) workshop is scheduled for April 1, 2009 from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Polk County Extension Office, in Altoona, Iowa. This workshop will provide training to service providers and livestock producers who are in need of developing nutrient and manure management plans for both the Iowa Department of Natural Resources and the Natural Resource Conservation Service. It is designed for people with little or no experience in using the RUSLE2 or Iowa P Index software.
Participants will learn
• Where to find the necessary software and how to install it on their computers,
• How to determine critical areas in the field,
• How to determine erosion rates using RUSLE2,
• How to calculate P Index vulnerability ratings
• How to incorporate these numbers into manure management plans for confinement facilities or nutrient management plans for open feedlots.
Instructors will also discuss soil sampling requirements for manure and nutrient management plans. Registration is limited to 30 people and requires you bring a laptop computer. A copy of the workshop brochure and registration information as well as computer requirements and directions please are online at www.ucs.iastate.edu/mnet/rusle2/home.html or by contacting Angela Rieck-Hinz at 515-294-9590 or Kapil Arora at 515-382-6551.
Advanced RUSLE2 Workshop
An Advanced RUSLE2 workshop is scheduled for April 2, 2009 from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Polk County Extension Office in Altoona, Iowa. This workshop builds upon the knowledge and principles discussed in the first workshop. It will enable participants to explore practice-based changes that can be designed to reduce erosion.
It will focus on
• RUSLE2 principles,
• Dividing fields for RUSLE2,
• Understanding tillage operations,
• Conservation practices both in RUSLE2 and the Iowa Phosphorus Index,
• Combining soil analytical results,
• Addressing land needs for Iowa Phosphorus Index requirements,
• Targeting sensitive areas.
Registration is currently open only to those participants who have previously attended an introductory RUSLE2 and Iowa Phosphorus Index workshop. Registration is limited to 30 people. A copy of the workshop brochure and registration information as well as computer requirements and directions please are online at www.ucs.iastate.edu/mnet/rusle2advanced/home.html or by contacting Angela Rieck-Hinz at 515-294-9590 or Kapil Arora at 515-382-6551.
Angela Rieck-Hinz is an extension program specialist in agronomy with responsibilities in manure management. Kapil Arora is an extension agricultural engineering field specialist.