Cook This! 4-H Culinary Challenge
Cook This! is a youth culinary challenge where three member teams compete in a four part challenge where they will demonstrate their knowledge in kitchen equipment and produce identification as well as their creativity in food preparation. Up to 10 teams participate at each level: junior, intermediate, and senior levels, all competing to show that they can Cook This!
2013 Cook This! Winners
Senior Level-The Three L's
From Boone and Marshall Counties
Intermediate Level-Kitchen Heat
From Warren County
Junior Level-Cookin' Crusaders
This event will be held at the Iowa State Fair on August 8-10, 2013. With the abundance of teams we received, the challenge was expanded to accomodate.
4-H Exhibit Building, Iowa State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, Iowa
Who can participate?
Teams are composed of three youth. At least one member of the team must be a 4-H member (it's easy to join 4-H!) Interested individuals are able to apply as an individual, partial or full team. We will combine applicants to make full teams whenever possible.
Applications are now open.
Teams cancelling after July 15th will be charged a $50 fee.
- 5 Myths of Hand washing (pdf)
- Clean Hands for Healthy Living (pdf)
- Temperature Rules (pdf)
- Foodborne Pathogens (pdf)
- Cook Factsheet (pdf)
- Clean Factsheet (pdf)
- Chill Factsheet (pdf)
Separate Factsheet (pdf)
Contact Cayla Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to our 2013 sponsors!
Iowa Beef Industry Council - $1,000
Iowa Pork Producers Association - $1,000
Iowa Turkey Federation - $1,000
Fareway - in-kind donation
Iowa Egg Council - in-kind donation, fuel and burners
Successful Farming Magazine - Grand Prize awards, in-kind
Iowa 4-H Foundation - prize donation
Maytag Dairy Farms - $250, prize donation
C&H Sugar - in-kind donation
Two Chicks From the Sticks - prize donation
Our Iowa Magazine - prize donation
Iowa State University College of Human Sciences - scholarship donation
Iowa State University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences - scholarship donation
Cookies Food Products - prize donation
- Join 4-H
- CWF: Citizenship Washington Focus
- Iowa 4-H Youth Conference
- 4-H at the Iowa State Fair
- Iowa State Fair 4-H Staff Login
- State Science & Technology Fair of Iowa
Save the Dates
Information about the 2014 Cook This! Culinary Challenge will be posted next spring.
- Spend Smart. Eat Smart
- Bread, Cereal, and Grains (pdf)
- Vegetables (pdf)
- Fruit (pdf)
- Milk, Cheese, and Yogurt (pdf)
- Meat, Poultry, Beans, & Nuts (pdf)
- 3 Steps to Quick Healthy Meals
- Fresh Vegetable Guide
- Recipe Basics and Culinary Questions - Intermediate Level
- Herb Identification - Senior Level
- Spice Identification - Senior Level
- Food Science Information - Senior Level
- Cook This! Sirlion Steak Information
- List of Culinary Knife Cuts
- MyPlate Information
- Eating Healthy in a School Environment
Contact Cayla Taylor at email@example.com or call (515) 294-1877 if you are interested in sponsoring the 2014 event or providing an in-kind donation. We are specifically looking for donations of utensils and equipment to improve our kitchens.