Are You Into It?
4-H Safety and Education in Shooting Sports (SESS) uses skills and disciplines of shooting to assist young people and their leaders in obtaining knowledge and developing life skills. The disciplines include archery, rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader and wildlife skills.
- Learn safe and responsible use of firearms and archery equipment including sound decision making, self-discipline, and concentration
- Promote the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship, and ethical behavior
- Encourage understanding of our natural resources and the development of a personal environmental stewardship ethic through participation in shooting, hunting, and related activities
Steps to a Successful Shooting Sports Program
1. Identify a key leader or leaders in your county.
2. Identify a group of potentially interested persons in cooperation with your leader or leaders.
3. Invite the large group of potential leaders to an initial meeting to discuss organizing a county shooting sports project.
4. Meet with the people that want to form a county team or teams that will be trained to implement the program.
5. Attend a training workshop.
6. Develop a county (or multi-county) plan.
7. Develop the necessary support for the program: human, financial and material.
8. Set the county plan in motion by recruiting leaders and youth.
9. Let the volunteers run the program.
10. Draw advanced participants in the program into junior leadership and coaching roles.
Here’s what you can do all year!
Starting Out Basic / Level 1
- Identify parts, uses and care of archery equipment and rifles
- Learn and practice range commands
- Learn and use safety rules such as eye and ear protection and correct behavior on the range
- Learn wildlife or hunting basics
Learning More Intermediate / Level 2
- Learn the differences and uses of a variety of equipment, such as types of archery equipment and rifle components
- Develop shooting skills using different techniques and positions
- Advance your shooting experiences by trying shotguns and muzzleloaders
- Learn and use hunter safety rules and hunter ethics
Expanding Horizons Advanced / Level 3
- Make archery equipment
- Do gunsmithing
- Demonstrate advanced skills by participating in higher level competitions
- Do and teach about conservation practices
Iowa DNR Youth Activities
National Wild Turkey Federation (Iowa Chapter)
The American Legion of Iowa Foundation
Iowa Pheasants Forever
Organizations listed as sponsors of 4-H Youth Development programs have provided funding, goods, or services in support of 4-H. Acceptance of sponsorship does not imply endorsement by 4-H of any firm, product, or service.
- Agriculture & Natural Resources
- Creative Arts
- Family & Consumer Sciences
- Personal Development
- Science Technology Engineering & Math
- Project Helpers
- 4H 825 Pointing Kids in the Right Direction
How do I get started?
Policies and Procedures
Frequently Asked Questions
SESS Calendar of Events
Activities and Events
SESS Logo Combined
Record Book Resources
SESS Project Record
Parent Consent Form/Waiver
Events and Activities
National 4-H Shooting Sports Invitational Qualifiers
- Shotgun Qualifier--March 30
- Archery Qualifier--April 19
- Wildlife Qualifier--Cancelled
- Air Rifle Qualifier--April 26
- Smallbore Qualifier--April 26
- Muzzleloader Qualifier--April 26
4-H Shooting Sports Leader Training Workshops
- Northwest Iowa April 4-5
- Iowa 4-H Center May 2-4
County Summary Report
County Summary Report Instructions
Archery Range Rules
SESS Project and Exhibit Ideas
Firearm Storage and Transportation
County Equipment Inventory
Club Mixer Resources
SESS Information/Interest Card
Basic Rifle Certificate
Basic Shotgun Certificate
Basic Archery Certificate
Basic Muzzleloading Certificate
Basic Wildlife Certificate
Suggested Equipment and Resources
Air Rifle Target Diagram
State Activity Template
National 4-H Mall
Civilian Marksmanship Program
National Rifle Association
National 4-H Shooting Sports
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association
National Field Archery Association
International Bowhunting Organization
World Archery Federation
Youth Shooting Sports Alliance