Food and Nutrition
Are You Into It?
In this project you can do fun experiments, prepare recipes, and go on fact-finding missions. You’ll have fun learning about food ingredients, food characteristics, nutrition and food safety.
- Use My Plate to make healthy food choices
- Understand how nutrition affects health, fitness, and your appearance
- Learn to prepare and store foods safely
- Learn about the science of nutrition
- Learn skills in planning, purchasing, preparing and serving tasty and nutritious meals
Here’s what you can do all year!
Starting Out Basic / Level 1
- Learn how to read a recipe
- Learn how to use measuring equipment
- Make healthy snacks
- Do fun food experiments
- Compare costs of purchased and homemade foods
- Learn how food spoils
- Learn how to keep your kitchen germ free
- Learn to safely use the microwave
Learning More Intermediate / Level 2
- Prepare a grocery list and go grocery shopping
- Compare food costs
- Learn safety know-how in the kitchen
- Explore low fat alternatives
- Make healthy fast food choices at home, at school and eating out
- Prepare easy meals
Expanding Horizons Advanced / Level 3
- Plan and prepare a meal
- Gain skill in evaluating nutrition information
- Understand the connection between eating and emotions
- Learn about food additives
- Learn how to preserve and dry foods
- Prepare foods in healthy ways
- Learn to purchase foods on a limited budget
- Explore careers in the food industry
Take It Further
Exhibit Evaluation Form (pdf)
Cook This! entries due June1!!! Sign up your team now.
Here are other opportunities to explore Food and Nutrition:
- Create your own food business
- Organize a food drive
- Create a scrapbook of your favorite recipes
- Sign up for 4-H Cook This! at the Iowa State Fair
- Keep a journal of foods eaten and calories consumed
- Plan menus for a week and go grocery shopping
- Create an exhibit and take it to the fair!. It might even get selected to go to the Iowa State Fair !
- Contact your County Extension office for other local workshops, activities, and events
- Meet new friends in food and nutrition - Check out camps at the Iowa 4-H Center
- Attend Iowa 4-H Youth Conference and participate in workshops, and a community service project,.
- Interested in a college education in the area of food and nutrition or culinary science? Schedule a visit with Iowa State University's College of Human Sciences or Ag & Life Sciences.
Step It Up
- Teach friends how to make healthy snacks
- Tell your family about the importance of eating a variety of foods from all the food groups
- Design a poster about kitchen safety
- Complete a Service-Learning project
- Bake with the elderly at a care center
- Volunteer at a food pantry
- Offer locally grown food sampling at grocery store
- Take responsibility for planning and preparing one family meal each week
- Plan and help prepare food for a special family event
- Create a club fundraiser around food such as a meal or bake sale
- Learn to read nutrition labels on food.
- Experiment with altering recipes and share results.
- Compare cost of purchased vs. home made foods.
- Plan a special meal for your family.
- Make a recipe calendar for a gift - include a recipe for each month.
- Do a blind taste test of two similar products like Coke and Pepsi, 2% milk and skim milk, etc.
- Assemble a set of favorite recipes.
- Research sports drinks vs. water - share results via poste.
- Learn to make Homemade Peanut Butter.