Are You Into It?
Do you love to tell stories using digital technology? In this project you get to tell your story or the stories of others by learning all about the production process and technologies that make it possible. Zoom in on animation, video production, editing, sound production, image manipulation, and the secrets to telling a great story.
- To develop interest, knowledge, and skills related to digital storytelling
- Develop problem solving and logical reasoning skills
- Improve communication and teamwork skills by working the way they do in the real world – in production teams
- Develop responsible attitudes about technology and how technology relates to our everyday world and people’s lives
- Gain experience in problem solving and decision making using science process skills
Here’s what you can do all year!
Starting Out / Basic Level 1
- Discover the world of digital storytelling from the process of creating stories to the technology that makes it possible.
- Learn about cameras and microphones and their functions
- Discover light and sound techniques that make quality presentations possible.
- Analyze various media forms and evaluate their use in different situations.
Learning More / Intermediate Level 2
- Use digital storytelling tools to create an image, video, or audio project
- Play with audio and video editing software.
- Discover how audio can enhance the quality of video production.
- Discover how design elements and art principles impact your message.
Work with the different media styles and evaluate when each would be the most effective at telling a story
Expanding Horizons / Advanced Level 3
- Use digital storytelling hardware, software and communication principles to tell a compelling story.
- Use your skills to create a 4-H story for member recruitment in your county
- Enter a research project in a science or technology fair
- Use your digital storytelling skills to bring awareness to a need in your community.
- Organize a local media event for youth to exhibit and share their media pieces.
Take It Further!
Here are other opportunities to explore the digital storytelling:
- Contact your county ISU Extension Office for local workshops, activities, and events.
- Contact your County Extension Office for local workshops, activities, camps, and events on video, audio, or image production (http://www.extension.iastate.edu/4h/contactus/countystaff.htm)
- Check out the Iowa 4-H Center for camps focused on digital storytelling sciences (http://www.extension.iastate.edu/4h/center/)
- Are you in high school? Think about state youth conference (http://www.extension.iastate.edu/4h/StateConference/) or join the Iowa 4-H Technology Team (http://techteam.iowa4h.org/)
- Join Iowa Studio 4-H (http://iowastudio4h.iowa4h.org/) and hone your digital storytelling skills with the advice of professional mentors
- Become a 4-H TV crewmember—create audio and video news stories for local and state 4-H events! (http://www.extension.iastate.edu/e-set/4htv.html)
- Is it fair time? Consider taking an exhibit, about digital storytelling processes or technologies to your county fair
Step It Up!
Pass it on! Now that you know how, share it with others. Here are ideas to get you started.
- Enter video in a youth film festival such as the Iowa 4-H Film Festival http://www.extension.iastate.edu/4h/StateFair/filmfestival.htm
- Create an exhibit for your county fair or do an educational presentation about one of the technologies or techniques used
- Use video or audio production to inspire community members or your city council to take action on a topic important to you
- Use your digital storytelling skills to help a local non-profit
- Organize a fieldtrip to a local lab, business, or industry to learn how they use digital storytelling
- Teach a workshop on video production or image editing during a day camp
- Join the State 4-H Youth Technology Team
- Develop a presentation or working exhibit that shows a technique in digital storytelling.
- Do a working exhibit on how to do layout a poster
- Make a poster on the different shot angles for videos
- What impact does sound have on video production? Find out and share your findings in a video
- Create a timeline with visuals of significant events in the development of media and media messaging
- Agriculture & Natural Resources
- Creative Arts
- Family & Consumer Sciences
- Personal Development
- 4-H STEM Projects
- Project Helpers
- Filmmaking tips on the Iowa 4-H Film Festival webpage http://www.extension.iastate.edu/4h/StateFair/filmfestival.htm
- 4-H Filmmaking Studio and Workshop, the online space to learn about filmmaking, digital storytelling, and videography webpage 4-H Filmmaking Studio and Workshop
- 4-H Yearly Summary (4H 0096)
- Basic 4-H Project Record (4H 0096A)
- Experienced 4-H Project Record (4H 0096B)
- Advanced 4-H Project Record (4H 0096C)
- Recordkeeping Self-Evaluation (4H 98, PDF)
Connect with others doing this project! http://iowastudio4h.iowa4h.org
- University Houston’s Educational uses of Digital Storytelling
- For free clips, sound effects, and music you can use in your videos, check out: http://digitalstorytelling.coe.uh.edu/public_domain.html or http://digitalstorytelling.coe.uh.edu/royalty.html