Are You Into It?
Do you talk to friends? Take part in a school play? Write reports? Read books? If you do, you’re communicating! The world of communication impacts you every day. By participating in the 4-H Communication project, you will explore the exciting world of communication, and learn more about yourself and others.
- Learn written, oral, and visual communication skills
- Develop self-confidence through public presentations
- Practice self-expression and creativity
- Demonstrate puppetry and stagecraft skills
- Learn how to organize and present information
Here’s what you can do all year!
Starting Out Basic / Level 1
- Introduce a speaker at your club meeting
- Learn the basic parts of a speech
- Write a thank you note
- Learn about puppets used around the world
- Make /Create your own puppet
- Use clothing to create a character
- Practice communicating with gestures
- Add voice to a character
Learning More Intermediate / Level 2
- Learn and practice electronic etiquette
- Learn to make good impressions
- Practice using technology with presentations
- Create exciting and effective visual aids
- Develop listening skills; observe and record listening types at your next meeting
- Learn to make props for a play
- Observe others in conversation, keep a journal of your findings
Expanding Horizons Advanced / Level 3
- Prepare for an interview by practicing with your leader
- Prepare your resume
- Present a persuasive speech
- Learn about stage lighting
- Write a play; then assemble a cast, direct and present the play at a community event
- Learn to mime and perform for your club
- Plan and perfom a puppet show for a day care center
Take It Further
Exhibit Evaluation Form (pdf)
Here are other opportunities to explore Communication:
- Write a short story or collection of poems. Make copies for your family and friends.
- Give a presentation or working exhibit at your club meeting and at your county communication event.
- Write thank you notes to a speaker or a donor to your club program.
- Organize making posters for display for national 4-H week.
- Record a radio ad or volunteer to be interviewed on a local radio station.
- Volunteer to read a book at library.
- Create and perform a puppet show for library.
- Teach a younger member how to give a presentation or prepare a working exhibit
- Create an electronic presentation about your 4-H club activities for members to use in community presentations.
- Write and direct a skit for a club Share The Fun act.
- Try out for a role in a school play or community theatre production.
- Write a letter to the editor about the value of 4-H for national 4-H week
- Create an improvisational comedy club/group
- Attend Iowa 4-H Youth Conference and participate in workshops, motivational speakers and a community service project, bringing ideas back to your community
- Interested in a college education in the area of communication? Schedule a visit with Iowa State University’s College of Journalism.
Step It Up
Pass it on! Now that you know how, share it with others. Here are ideas to get you started.
- Complete a Service-Learning project
- Volunteer to teach Clover Kids how to do a new skill
- Try out for a part in a local community theatre production
- Construct props for a school play
- Present puppet shows at a daycare
- Write a short play for your 4-H club to perform
- Help another member prepare their working exhibit or presentation
- Volunteer to organize publicity for a community event
- Direct a school play
- Give an educational presentation, working exhibit, or extemporaneous speech
- Perform in Share The Fun
- Make a poster to demonstrate use of visual aids
- Construct a puppet theatre and puppets
- Prepare an exhibit describing steps in preparing a speech
- Write a short story. (or a novel!)
- Make an audio file of sound effects to use with a play
- Prepare a poster about text messaging dos and don’ts
- Write and exhibit a collection of poems
- Make an exhibit showing make-up techniques for clowns
- Make a poster for the 4-H Poster Communication exhibit class
- Prepare a poster or presentation about social networking and use by teens
- How to Give a Presentation (4H 850A)
- See! You Did It! Leader Guide (4H 850 LDR)
- Picking Up the Pieces Level 1
- Putting It Together Level 2
- The Perfect Fit Level 3
- Communications Leader Guide
- National 4-H Communications Curriculum
- Play The Role
- Become a Puppeteer
- Set The Stage
- Theatre Arts Leader Guide
- National 4-H Theatre Arts Curriculum
- Share a Talent..Show Off a Skill