Are You Into It?
Do you talk to friends? Take part in a school play? Write reports? Read books? If you do, you’re communicating! The world of communication impacts you every day. By participating in the 4-H Communication project, you will explore the exciting world of communication, and learn more about yourself and others.
- Learn written, oral, and visual communication skills
- Develop self-confidence through public presentations
- Practice self-expression and creativity
- Demonstrate puppetry and stagecraft skills
- Learn how to organize and present information
Here’s what you can do all year!
Starting Out Basic / Level 1
- Introduce a speaker at your club meeting
- Learn the basic parts of a speech
- Write a thank you note
- Learn about puppets used around the world
- Make /Create your own puppet
- Use clothing to create a character
- Practice communicating with gestures
- Add voice to a character
Learning More Intermediate / Level 2
- Learn and practice electronic etiquette
- Learn to make good impressions
- Practice using technology with presentations
- Create exciting and effective visual aids
- Develop listening skills; observe and record listening types at your next meeting
- Learn to make props for a play
- Observe others in conversation, keep a journal of your findings
Expanding Horizons Advanced / Level 3
- Prepare for an interview by practicing with your leader
- Prepare your resume
- Present a persuasive speech
- Learn about stage lighting
- Write a play; then assemble a cast, direct and present the play at a community event
- Learn to mime and perform for your club
- Plan and perfom a puppet show for a day care center
Take It Further
Communication Hot Sheet (color pdf)
Communication Exhibits Tip Sheet (color pdf)
Poster Exhibits Tip Sheet (color pdf)
Exhibitor Fair Information Form (Word or editable PDF)
Exhibit Evaluation Form (pdf)
Here are other opportunities to explore Communication:
- Write a short story or collection of poems. Make copies for your family and friends.
- Give a presentation or working exhibit at your club meeting and at your county communication event.
- Write thank you notes to a speaker or a donor to your club program.
- Organize making posters for display for national 4-H week.
- Record a radio ad or volunteer to be interviewed on a local radio station.
- Volunteer to read a book at library.
- Create and perform a puppet show for library.
- Teach a younger member how to give a presentation or prepare a working exhibit
- Create an electronic presentation about your 4-H club activities for members to use in community presentations.
- Write and direct a skit for a club Share The Fun act.
- Try out for a role in a school play or community theatre production.
- Write a letter to the editor about the value of 4-H for national 4-H week
- Create an improvisational comedy club/group
- Attend Iowa 4-H Youth Conference and participate in workshops, motivational speakers and a community service project, bringing ideas back to your community
- Interested in a college education in the area of communication? Schedule a visit with Iowa State University’s College of Journalism.
Step It Up
Pass it on! Now that you know how, share it with others. Here are ideas to get you started.
- Complete a Service-Learning project
- Volunteer to teach Clover Kids how to do a new skill
- Try out for a part in a local community theatre production
- Construct props for a school play
- Present puppet shows at a daycare
- Write a short play for your 4-H club to perform
- Help another member prepare their working exhibit or presentation
- Volunteer to organize publicity for a community event
- Direct a school play
- Give an educational presentation, working exhibit, or extemporaneous speech
- Perform in Share The Fun
- Make a poster to demonstrate use of visual aids
- Construct a puppet theatre and puppets
- Prepare an exhibit describing steps in preparing a speech
- Write a short story. (or a novel!)
- Make an audio file of sound effects to use with a play
- Prepare a poster about text messaging dos and don’ts
- Write and exhibit a collection of poems
- Make an exhibit showing make-up techniques for clowns
- Make a poster for the 4-H Poster Communication exhibit class
- Prepare a poster or presentation about social networking and use by teens
- Communication Hot Sheet (pdf)
- How to Give a Presentation (4H 850A)
- See! You Did It! Leader Guide (4H 850 LDR)
- Picking Up the Pieces Level 1
- Putting It Together Level 2
- The Perfect Fit Level 3
- Communications Leader Guide
- 4-H Communications 4H-4001C
- National 4-H Communications Curriculum
- Play The Role
- Become a Puppeteer
- Set The Stage
- Theatre Arts Leader Guide
- National 4-H Theatre Arts Curriculum
- Share a Talent..Show Off a Skill