Iowa 4-H Afterschool
Vision: All Iowa children and youth will have access to extraordinary learning experiences and caring adults in out-of-school time.
Mission: Iowa 4-H Afterschool is a partner and leader in providing positive youth development through out-of-school programming.
4-H Afterschool Outreach Priorities
- Create 4-H project lesson plans to be user-friendly for Extension staff to market to out-of-school time/after-school personnel.
- Highlight specific out-of-school time/after-school programming ideas.
Provide no-school day camp programming ideas/lesson.
Place developed support materials on the Iowa 4-H Afterschool website.
Staff Development Training
- Create staff development training modules for Extension staff to use with out-of-school time/after-school personnel.
- Place developed support materials on the Iowa 4-H Afterschool website.
- Quality Out-of-School Time Standards
- Create materials for Extension staff to use with out-of-school time/after-school personnel.
- Place developed support materials on the Iowa 4-H Afterschool website
Iowa 4-H Afterschool is defined as programs and partnerships that are...
- offered during the times children and youth are not in school and their parents are in need of safe, healthy, caring, and enriching environments for their children and youth.
- They include before- and after-school hours, teacher workdays, school holidays, summer months, and in some cases, weekends.
- designed for children and youth from kindergarten to twelfth grades
- designed to engage children and youth in experiential learning in partnership with adults
- designed on principles of youth development to address the interests of children and youth and their physicl, cognitive, social and emotional needs
The goals of Iowa 4-H Afterschool are to increase the...
- Skills and knowledge of children and youth in the areas of leadership, communication, and citizenship;
- quality and availability of out-of-school programs;
- number of young people, volunteers, and community partners involved in out-of-school programs;
- use of 4-H and Extension curricula in out-of-school programs;
knowledge and skills of out-of-school program staff; and
awareness of 4-H as a major contributor and leader in the out-of-school field.