Iowa 4-H Center Staff
The Iowa 4-H Center is a retreat facility owned by the Iowa 4-H Foundation and leased to Iowa State University Extension and Outreach for the delivery of 4-H youth development programs. Our mission is to empower youth to reach their full potential working and learning in partnership with caring adults. Each summer the Iowa 4-H Center hires 30 summer staff that are a diverse group of young adults who are energetic and passionate about kids, the outdoors, and creating memorable experiences. The Iowa 4-H Center is looking for individuals with evidence of loyalty, integrity, cooperation, and teamwork to carry out our mission.
The Iowa 4–H Center consists of over 1,100 acres of native prairie, woodlands, meadows, bluffs, wetlands, and fields in the heart of the scenic Des Moines River Valley . On this large and beautiful site, the summer program of the Iowa 4–H Center serves youth of all ages, teaching life skills through nature education and team challenge programs. Campers come from all over Iowa and about 50% are 4–H members. You do not need to have been in 4–H to work at our camp.
- Minimum age for summer staff is 18 years of age by May 20, 2013. Must have attended one year of college. Students of all college majors are encouraged to apply.
- Work days are May 20-August 10, 2013. Will have a non-paid holiday break on May 27 and July 4-6, 2013. Staff are given 24 hours off a week and scheduled breaks each day. Staff are required to work at least one weekend during the summer.
- Most positions require that staff live on-site for the summer. On-site housing is provided for each staff member.
- Must have a physical examination and clear all background checks
- 4-H membership is not required to attend our camps or to work on our camp staff.
- Each staff member receives a salary plus: air conditioned housing, meals, internet access, staff lounge, laundry facitlies, staff shirts, training, necessary certificiations, and camp store discounts -- about $3,000 worth of benefits.
- To apply simply fill out the staff application and provide three references. The link to our on-line application can be found below.
- All applications are due by April 30, 2013, or until all positions are filled.