Iowa 4-H Camping
2014 State 4-H Camps--Start Your Adventure Here!
Adventures in nature are only part of the experiences young people will have at 4-H camps at the Iowa 4-H Center and locally across the state this summer. In addition to Regional and County-led camps, the ISU Extension and Outreach 4-H program is offering summer fun to youth from across the state at four special-themed camps at the 4-H Center near Madrid.
- June 14-18: State 4-H Leadership Camp
- June 28-July 2: 4-H Veterinary and Animal Science Camp
- July 6-10: 4-H STEM Catalysts Camp
- August 2-6: 4-H Healthy, Green, and Growing Camp
These statewide camps are for young people grades 5-8 in the 2013-14 school year. While learning about the special theme of the camp, campers will live in a camp community for five days and four nights, enjoying traditional camp favorites like swimming, canoeing, hiking, climbing, and campfires. Download the promotional flyer for the camps here.
Be a Counselor-In-Training at State 4-H Camps this summer
The 4-H Camp Counselor-In-Training Program is designed to enhance the development of leadership skills in young people (grades 9-12 in the 2013-2014 school year) through experiential-based training and service. It is an opportunity for you to build on your 4-H or other youth organization experience by sharing your talents and energy with 4-H campers from counties across the state.
Iowa 4-H camping experiences give kids
- A safe outdoor environment for learning, having fun, and being creative
- A chance to be with caring, trained adults
A living-learning community
- Resident camps where kids stay overnight in cabins, tents, or under the stars
- Day camps where outdoor creativity, activity and learning take place over the course of several days
- Group and individual time to have fun and learn together
- A learning “laboratory” to practice life skills while exploring nature
Why have a 4-H camping adventure?
- Research shows that youth campers benefit in a host of ways, from being smarter, to being more cooperative, to having better overall health.
- 4-H camp activities are led and supervised by Iowa State 4-H staff and trained adult and teen volunteers.
- Like all 4-H programs, Iowa 4-H camping is focused on the 4-H outcomes of developing productive citizens, outstanding communicators, effective leaders, and successful learners.
Because at Iowa 4-H camps, learning is part of the fun.
- 4-H Clubs
- 4-H Clover Kids
- 4-H Science Technology Engineering & Math (STEM)
- Connecting Learning & Living Programs
- Iowa 4-H Afterschool
- Iowa 4-H Camping
- Iowa AmeriCorps 4-H Outreach
- Service Learning